« Back to category
RSPCA Pet Insurance Future Animal Carer’s Grant
The RSPCA is Australia’s most recognised and best-loved animal welfare organisation. At RSPCA Pet Insurance we are dedicated to helping pets and their owners lower the costs of pet ownership by providing affordable pet insurance.
We understand that qualified Veterinarians and Veterinary Nurses are essential in assisting with the protection and maintenance of your pet’s health. For that reason, we aim to provide support to people who are interested in getting into roles which are related to Veterinary Medicine, Animal Care and Animal Sciences by providing the RSPCA Pet Insurance Future Animal Carer’s Grant.
This grant is offered annually to one person. Applications for the 2018–19 grant are now closed and applications for the 2019–20 grant are now open until October 31, 2020.
The value of this grant is AUD $5,000 and is paid as a one-off lump sum payment to the winner.
- To be eligible, you must be enrolled full-time in an accredited Australian Tertiary Education Institution and be studying for a certificate, diploma, degree or traineeship in any of the following areas:
- Veterinary Medicine;
- Veterinary Science;
- Veterinary & Life Sciences;
- Animal Care;
- Veterinary Nursing;
- Animal Studies;
- Animal Sciences;
- Animal Nutrition;
- Veterinary Technology; or
- Any other courses leading to similar careers as an animal carer or pet health specialist
- Only citizens or permanents residents of Australia can apply; and
- You must be 18 years of age to apply.
To apply for the RSPCA Pet Insurance Future Animal Carer’s Grant, you will need to write an essay with a maximum of 500 words on why you want to work in your selected industry and the difference you hope to make in your particular field of study. We are looking for submissions that reflect a real desire to improve animal welfare. It doesn’t have to be great prose, but it does need to be honest and come from the heart. We suggest you start thinking about the real reason(s) you have chosen the career path you have and then put it into words.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Real life experience that demonstrates commitment to animal welfare – e.g. volunteering experience in animal care roles. Note: If you are a selected as a finalist, you will be asked to provide references to verify your experience;
- Educational experience and enrolment in a course which will benefit animal welfare/health; and
- Provision of examples of how you intend to use your future role to influence/affect improvements in animal welfare.
How to apply
All applicants must email the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Proof of Identification;
- Proof of enrolment, including course name, tertiary institution name and enrolment status;
- Your response (maximum of 500 words); and
- Contact details (including residential address)
The winner of the Grant will be selected and awarded by a panel of judges from the RSPCA Pet Insurance Team and a licenced vet on the basis of the entry that best addresses the challenge. The panel will convene from November 15, 2020 at 58 Norwest Boulevard, Norwest NSW 2153.
The winner will be notified by email and their name will be published on our website on February 2, 2021. Please note that the winner for the period 2018–19 will be notified by email and their name will be published on our website on January 31, 2020.
See full competition terms and conditions.